Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Going Beyond? Well not exactly...

The "Branding" moniker for The University of Pittsburgh at Bradford is, "Beyond".  As in going Beyond to exceed all your expectations in a university.  Well, in my case the ball seems to have been dropped.  I have visited every office I can in attempts to get the recognition I deserve for my QPA and it all my efforts have been met with and successfully blocked by the "Almighty Policy".

As I mentioned before policy states that a graduate must have at least 60 credits and a QPA of 3.75 or better to receive the distinction of Suma Cum-Laude at graduation and on their diploma.  I have a QPA of 3.98 and 54 credits.  I transferred in 11 credits from another college to apply to my current degree, giving me a grand total of 65 credits (only 54 earned at Pitt).

I realize that this degree is an Associates and other degrees are to follow.  I will/should be able to keep up this pace for my Bachelors and I then can put this issue behind me.  I just really feel that this policy is a bit ridiculous and should be waived in this case.  Others at the University feel the same as I do.  I also realize that there is a prestige with a University of Pittsburgh degree and with it comes their policies that supposedly make their degree so coveted.

In meeting with President Alexander today, I was met with the same response as before.  "We're sorry, but we do have to adhere to the policy."  One doesn't become a straight A student over night; I have been working at this fervently for 4 semesters.  One would also think that those in the know would inform someone of the requirements to avoid this tragic situation.  I never once heard of this policy the entire time I have been there.  If I had known, I would have gladly taken the two extra classes I needed to insure I get the credit I deserve.

As this is a University wide policy, I have contacted the Main Campus and am awaiting their response.  At this point I feel lied to and am very disappointed.  The branding moniker of Go Beyond has failed me in my time of need.  Thats just the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment